Coming home from the Hospital

Coming home from the Hospital
NYC babies wear Black

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Breastfeeding? Ouch!

Let me say again OUCH. Now I read Babycenter everyday, What to Expect When You're Expecting, parent mags... you name it I read it. Why the hell didn't la la la leche tell me how PAINFUL breastfeeding would be. I read all about nipple confusion and the sins of the binky but no one told me about the PAIN. I am definitely saying this to scare you, well to prepare you. There is not a single woman I have talked to that has said breastfeeding didn't hurt, like a bitch. So prepare yourself, look up Mastitis... yea bet you didn't read about that either.
Now the good news, I wasn't prepared but now you are. I didn't get into this with the sheer will to breastfeed like some ladies. I was like eh, I'll try it and if it doesn't work or I don't like it I will stop. After bleeding cracked baby foodbags and 2 bouts of Mastitis I am still breastfeeding strong. I took 2 weeks off after the first 2 weeks of feeding her and pumped and bottle fed while allowing my body to heal. Once I was healed up there was no nipple confusion, she just wanted food and didn't care where it came from. My daughter is also a piggy.

So be prepared and to help with breastfeeding have the following at home before you get back from the hospital:

Breastfeeding tanks - order online at Target, you don't need to be stylish. Plus breastfeeding shirts and style are opposites, trust me I looked everywhere.
Breastfeeding Bras - get the soft ones
Breastpump - Get a cheap one, you may not stick with it but have it in case something happens. I was so glad I did
Bottles - same reason as above
Binky - F the hospital for telling me not to give my daughter one. She loves to suck, she would suck boob 24/7 if I let her which killed my foodbags. So make sure you have them on hand.
Breast Pads - you will spill everywhere, the Nuk ones are horrible. Get Lasinoh
Lasinoh HPA Lanolin - God's gift to nipples
last but not least a Breastfriend 

You're going to be hungryyyyyyy and thirsty. I have bottles of water everywhere I may station myself to feed her and baggies of the following mix: dried cranberries, ghiradelli dark chocolate chips and roasted almonds.

Oh and burning 500 calories a day! YES!

No comments:

Post a Comment